Sunday, February 22, 2015

Interview with Laurie Stevens, Author of The Dark Before Dawn

Laurie Stevens is the author of the Gabriel McRay psychological suspense series. The two books so far in the series, The Dark Before Dawn and Deep into Dusk, have won 9 awards, including Kirkus Reviews Best of 2011 and the 2014 IPPY Award for Best Mystery/Thriller. They will soon be published with Random House, Germany.  Laurie lives in Los Angeles with her husband and two children. When she isn’t pursuing her own writing, she is publishing other authors at her company, FYD Media. To learn more, visit http://www.lauriestevensbooks.com or connect with her at 

Facebook:

Twitter:

Goodreads:


Did you like suspense when you were growing up?

I liked anything that got my pulse racing. I cut my teeth on Stephen King. When I got a little older, I read Thomas Harris and I still think that "Red Dragon" is one of the scariest books I've ever read.

What was the first story in that genre that you wrote?

I wrote a novella for my mother when I was in middle school entitled "Family Tradition." It was about an evil family. I hope my mom didn't take it personally.  

What is your favorite part of writing in this genre?

I write what I love to read. When I get into a scene in the book that transfixes me, then I'm really loving the process. Conversely, you always know when a scene is not working because you gloss right over it.

What do you find most difficult about writing in this genre?


You evolve as both a person and an author. As I grow myself, I find I want to tuck tidbits of my own growth into the book, but many times that doesn't fit with the character's journey.  I have to remind myself to let the character tell ME where he's supposed to be mentally at any given time.

Is there an author in this genre that you admire most?

Wow. I admire many.  Even the unsung ones I've had the pleasure of reading in the Indie market. I'd say Karin Slaughter or Tess Gerritsen. 

What is up next for you?

I'm very excited about the Gabriel McRay series having been signed to Blanvalet (Random House, Germany). So I guess I'll be terrorizing people across the Atlantic now.  I'm also excited about getting the 3rd book out and continuing Gabriel's psychological healing progression.

Do you have anything to add?

Writers are indebted to readers. Please keep supporting this art form! And thanks for the opportunity to be on Books can be Deadly.


No comments:

Post a Comment