Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Book Review: Redemption by Becky Johnson

Charlotte Marshall's life changed when she uncovered a serial killer and barely escaped with her life. With Lawrence Pheares dead, she's ready to sit down and draft a new book and get back to her successful career. But when her beloved car is bombed, she realizes she has become the target of an elusive killer with dark secrets who is hell-bent on revenge. Everything she holds dear is at risk and time is running out.

Redemption is the third book in Becky Johnson's Charlotte Marshall Mystery series. While I didn't read the previous books, I never felt lost in this action-packed, intriguing novel where the villain has made it her sole mission to destroy Charlotte one step at a time.

A strong plot, well-defined characters, and a hint of romance swirl through the pages of this dangerous cat-and-mouse mystery.

The only thing I can say I didn't care for is the mixed points-of-view. Told mostly in first person, there are short scenes told in third person where Charlotte is not present to provide the reader a glimpse into the villain's life and motivations. While in some novels this works well, here I just didn't feel it was necessary. Yes, perhaps it made the villain a bit more sympathetic or hated--depending upon the scene--but overall I felt some of this information could have been uncovered through the course of the investigation and would have given Jack--the FBI agent involved in the case--the full importance in the story that he deserved.

I'm planning to pick up the first two books in the Charlotte Marshall Mystery series soon. That way I can get Charlotte's story from the beginning and eagerly anticipate the next installment. Becky Johnson is definitely an author who is being added to my "To Be Read" list.


ISBN-13:9781514844892
Publisher:CreateSpace Publishing
Publication date:07/05/2015
Pages:214

Purchase at: Amazon/Barnes & Noble

I received a digital copy of this book from the author through Pump Up Your Book. This review contains my honest opinions, which I have not been compensated for in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment