Friday, April 15, 2016

Interview with Sandra Bretting, Author of Murder at Morningside

Sandra Bretting works as a freelance feature writer under contract at the Houston Chronicle. She received a journalism degree from the University of Missouri School of Journalism and wrote for other publications (including the Los Angeles Times and Orange Coast Magazine) before moving to Texas.

Her Missy DuBois Mysteries series debuts from Kensington/Lyrical Underground in May 2016. Bretting’s previous mysteries include Unholy Lies (2012) and Bless the Dying (2014). Readers can reach her online at www.sandrabretting.com and through Facebook at www.facebook.com/sandra.bretting

Did you like mysteries when you were growing up?

Definitely. Not only the Hardy Boys (I can still picture some of their book covers) and Nancy Drew, but even Agatha Christie, especially if it was the film version. Remember Ten Little Indians?   

What was the first story in that genre that you wrote?

The first one fit for human consumption was a mystery I wrote for a class at the University of Missouri. When one of the other students assumed I'd come to Mizzou to learn how to be a novelist, something went "ping!" in my brain.

What is your favorite part of writing in this genre?

Getting to know the characters. Since I write a series, I've come to view my characters as friends. (Though they did forget my birthday this year.)

What do you find most difficult about writing in this genre?

Making my lead character believable. I mean, come on, how many of us snoop around for clues when we hear someone's been murdered?

Is there an author in this genre you admire the most?

Probably Louise Penny, since her writing is so literary. She makes police investigations sound so poetic.

What is up next for you?

Right now I'm working on book three in the series. The first one debuts in May and the second in December, so the clock is ticking for me.

Do you have anything to add?

Just that I think mystery readers are the best readers on the planet. They pay attention to the details, which is a dream come true for a writer. Thank you for having me here today!







No comments:

Post a Comment