Tuesday, June 20, 2017

First Chapter Review: Pennies for Charon by Benedict J. Jones



BLURB:  Welcome to London - where the ferryman always has to be paid and the price is two shiny pennies over your cold dead eyes.

When the son of the city’s leading barrister asks ex-con turned private eye Charlie “Bars” Constantinou to look for a missing call-girl, Charlie thinks he might finally have found a way to do some good. But Charlie soon finds himself embroiled with a serial killer who believes that the soul of the city demands human sacrifices if it is to reward its inhabitants with spoils and riches. There’s not been a murderer so calculating, bizarre and elusive on the loose in the British capital since Jack the Ripper.

Three time loser Charlie Bars, unlikely hero of Skewered and other London Cruelties, Ben Jones’s first Crime Wave Press release, is the only man to put the city right and make sure the ferryman gets his due.



COVER: Nice. Love the font and the image. Perfect for the genre.

FIRST CHAPTER: After a tense meeting with Mazza and Cordwain, Charlie heads to the bar for a smoke and drink or two.

KEEP READING:  My interest is definitely piqued. Since I am a character-driven reader, it's challenging when I don't immediately connect with the main character. While I don't dislike Charlie, I can't say I really like him either. I'll need a couple more chapters to decide if this is for me. The information the reader learns in this opening chapter certainly makes me want to figure out the larger story.

I received the first chapter of this book from the publisher. This review contains my honest opinions, which I have not been compensated for in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment