Monday, June 12, 2017

Interview with Jame DiBiasio, Author of Gaijin Cowgirl


Jame DiBiasio is the author of thrillers "Gaijin Cowgirl" (Crime Wave Press) and "Bloody Paradise" (Water Street Crime), as well as the non-ficiton "The Story of Angkor" (Silkworm Books). He is based in Hong Kong. Visit him at www.jamedibiasio.com.

Did you like thrillers when you were growing up?

The entire Ian Fleming oeuvre: nailed by the time I was 14. Then I read “Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang”, which was appallingly bad. Who knew that he could have such a dark, twisted side?

What was the first story in that genre that you wrote?

About that same time, we had a family trip to New York City, and all I could see were action scenes in these amazing settings. I wrote a Bond-like story with a shootout on the escalator of our hotel. The Russian bad guy was “Nievkov” and the femme fatale was “Echo”.

In my 30s I had a business trip back to the city and I went into that hotel. It’s a lousy place; my settings for shootouts have improved. But I should bring Echo back. She was hot.

What is your favorite part of writing in this genre?

The ability to use fictional storytelling to illuminate and interpret our reality.



What do you find most difficult about writing in this genre?

Making over-the-top characters and situations feel real.

Is there an author in this genre that you admire most?

No. I mean, there are lots, but no one lodestar.

What is up next for you?

“Gaijin Cowgirl” is an epic thriller-adventure sweeping up true history. “Bloody Paradise” is a tropical noir, more intimate. The next project remains a work in progress but falls somewhere in the middle register.

Do you have anything to add?

I wish, but my sales aren’t good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment