Monday, October 15, 2018

Interview with Mildred Abbott, Author of the Cozy Corgi Series



Reading the Cozy Corgi series is pretty much all you need to know about Mildred. In real life, she’s obsessed with everything she writes about: Corgis, Books, Cozy Mountain Towns, and Baked Goods. She’s not obsessed with murder, however. At least not at her own hands (nor paid for… no contract killing here). But since childhood, starting with Nancy Drew, trying to figure out who-dun-it has played a formative role in her personality. Having Fred and Watson stroll into her mind was a touch of kismet.

Website Address: http://www.mildredabbott.com







Did you like mysteries growing up?

I struggled to learn to read, honestly. Reading didn’t connect with me until I was around ten years old. My mother FORCED me to read Mr. Popper’s Penguins and The Secret Garden. Something clicked I never looked back. My favorites after that were Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Agatha Christie, CS Lewis, and then a little latter (high school) I got into the Mandie Mystery Books and anything by Bodie Thoene.

What is the first story in that genre you wrote, whether it is published or unpublished?

Though I’ve written in other genres, under other pen names for several years, Cruel Candy is my first in the cozy genre.


What is your favorite part of writing in this genre?

The ease of it. The focus on beauty. Maybe that sounds strange in a genre where there has to be at least one murder in each book, but it’s true. I love innocence of it all. While I enjoy a good murder mystery set in the real world, like JD Robb’s In Death series, I go to cozies for comfort. I love that there is minimal blood, that a cozy should be in depth enough in terms of mystery and character development to keep an adult entertained, but that no parent would have to worry should their child pick it up and start to read. To me, a cozy is about kindness, beauty, cleverness, humor, and family—both biological and the family of ones own choosing. It’s an honor and privilege to get to write in this genre. It lightens my soul and simply makes me happy. I hope the Cozy Corgi books do that very same thing to the reader.

Is there an author in this genre you most admire?

Agatha Frost is the one I sit everything aside for the minute a new installment comes out. She captures what I love most about cozies. The second I crack open the pages I feel like I’m returning home. Which, ultimately, is my favorite thing about reading in general. If an author captures that sensation, to me, they are a success!

What is up next for you?

More Cozy Corgis!!!! I’m just getting ready to write this year’s Christmas book, Malevolent Magic. It’s book nine of the Cozy Corgi series. Seriously…. Is there a better combo than Christmas AND cozies? Pure perfection!

I’m also getting the series out in audiobook format and I’m SO, SO, SO excited!!!!



Title: CRUEL CANDY (Book 1)
Author: Mildred Abbott
Publisher: Wings of Ink Publications LLC
Pages: 282
Genre: Cozy Mystery

Estes Park, Colorado: picturesque mountains, charming shops, delightful bakeries, a cozy bookstore… and murder.

Winifred Page and her corgi, Watson, move to Estes Park to hit the Reset button on life. Fred is about to open her dream bookshop, and the only challenges she anticipates are adjusting to small-town life, tourists, and living close to her loveable mother, Phyllis, and hippy stepfather, Barry.

When Fred steps into her soon-to-be-bookshop for the first time, she expects dust bunnies and spiders… not the dead body in the upstairs kitchen. The local police have an easy suspect—Barry.
Determined to prove quirky Barry innocent of murder, Fred puts on her detective hat, and with Watson by her side, she explores her new town and gets acquainted with her fellow shopkeepers. Could one of her friendly neighbors be the real culprit? And what would be the motive for killing the owner of the Sinful Bites candy store? The secrets Fred discover put her at odds with the local police sergeant and threaten her cozy future in Estes.

With snow falling outside, all Fred wants to do is curl up by the fire with a good book and Watson snuggled at her feet. But before she can begin her new life and put her plans for her bookshop into action, Fred and Watson have a mystery to solve…


ORDER YOUR COPY:

No comments:

Post a Comment